Saturday, July 6, 2019

South of the Blackwater: Our Male Raney/Rainey Line



It is said that as a figure is sculpted by the hand of the Artist, so is a man molded by those who preceded him on Earth. Quotation at the Washington Family Burial Ground, Washington Birthplace National Monument

After two and a half years I believe I have puzzled out our male Raney/Rainey lineage:
Frank Whitman Raney

Grandfather: Frank Whitman Raney (1888 Gibson Co., IN -1969 Spokane, WA), who married in 1910 Mary Emma Smith (1882-1979) in Fredonia, Wilson Co., Kansas. Their story HERE  HERE1 HERE2 HERE3
James Samuel Raney

Great-grandfather James Samuel Raney (1868 Pike Co., IN -1954 Spokane, WA), who married in 1887 Nancy Ann Dyson (1867-1938) in Pike Co., Indiana. His story is HERE





Everett Rainey's lonely grave in Scott Co., MO

Great-great grandfather Everett Rainey/Raney (1844 Pulaski Co., KY-1899, Blodgett, Scott Co., MO ), who married in 1865 Nancy Jane Dougan (1847-c1876) in Warrick Co., Indiana. The 4-part story about his service in the Union Army during the American Civil War, written by Pat Raney, is HERE HERE2 HERE3 HERE4
 
Pulaski County, Kentucky

3rd Great-grandfather James Rainey (1814 Pulaski Co., KY-1860/70 Pike Co., IN), who married in 1832 "Millie" (her given name Milla or Miline ) Roberts (c1810-c1881) in Pulaski Co., Kentucky. My revised blog on his life is HERE
 
Sussex County, Virginia

 
White County, Tennessee

4th Great-grandfather James Rainey (c1778 Sussex Co., VA -1838/40,White Co., TN) who married in 1800 Martha Parham (c1784 Sussex Co., VA-1817-20 Pulaski Co., KY) in Sussex Co., Virginia. What I knew about his life last December before I discovered that he married Martha Parham is HERE




5th Great-grandfather William Rainey (1750, Sussex Co., VA - 1799, Northampton Co., NC), who married Catherine Hall Vaughan (1745 Sussex Co., VA-1836 Warren Co., NC) probably in Albermarle Parish, Sussex Co., Virginia, before her parents moved across the line into North Carolina.
 
Until 1753, what became Sussex County below the Blackwater River was part of Surry County

6th Great-grandfather William Rainey (c1725 in that part of Surry Co., VA that became Sussex Co. in 1753 - died sometime after 1768, Sussex Co., Virginia), who in about 1747 married Mary Jackson (1724 Brunswick Co., VA - 1784 Sussex Co.) in Albermarle Parish, then still in Surry Co., Virginia.


7th Great-grandfather William Rainey (b.1698, either in Antrim County, Ulster or Martin's Brandon Parish, Prince George Co., VA - died early 1769 Sussex Co., Virginia), who in about 1719 married Mary (surname possibly Huskey), in Surry County, Virginia.
County Antrim, Ulster (Northern Ireland)

8th Great-grandfather William Rainey/Ranye (c1666 County Antrim, Ulster - 1722 Martin's Brandon Parish, Prince George Co., Virginia), who married perhaps twice -- to an Anne and possibly earlier to an Elizabeth. He and his brother John Rainey settled in Virginia in the late 17th or early 18th century. I wrote about the Rainey ship Friendship of Belfast HERE
9th Great-grandfather William Rainey/Ranye (c1640-c1720). Born and died in Ulster, Ireland. He probably was a merchant in Belfast, a part-owner of the ship Friendship of Belfast.

Information on our early Rainey line is scarce. Although William Rainey/Ranye (1666-1722) must have arrived in Virginia some time earlier, the first surviving recorded land grant is Nov 13, 1713 for 250 acres in Surry County on the south side of Nottaway River, beginning at a pine on the South West side of Raccoon Swamp. That doesn't mean he immediately moved there. That area had opened up for settlement after Native Americans living there were pushed out of what became Sussex County at the end of the 17th century and well-off planters began speculating in land. The next year, 1714, Mrs. Frances Wynne purchased 142 acres in Prince George County, on south side of Bailey Creek, beginning at the mouth of Simmon's Gut, on "WM. Rayne's line." When Mrs. Wynne sold in 1717, the land is described as in "Westopher Parish" next to "William Rainey." So that must be where the William Rainey family was living in the early 18th century, in Westover Parish near where the Appomattox River empties into the James, now Hopewell, Virginia.
Westover Parish Church built in 1731

And what of that 250 acres on Racoon Swamp farther south in what would become Sussex County in 1753? On 14 May 1717, William Ranye, Jr. and wife Ann Ranye of Southwark Parish sold 150 acres of it to John Jones, that land bounded by William Vincent and said Rayne's patent dated 13 Nov 1713.  Southwark Parish was one of two parishes in Surry County, which might indicate William and Ann Rainey had moved from Westover Parish in Prince George County into Surry County. That same May 1717, William Rainey purchased 150 acres on the south side of the main Blackwater Swamp from George Passmore, and it abutted his own property on Raccoon Swamp. So, William had sold off 150 acres he didn't want and acquired 150 acres he did want adjoining the 90 acres he felt was worth keeping. But not for long. In 1720, he and Ann sold for 5 shillings 100 acres on the south side of Raccoon Swamp "just below the Trading Path on south side of Nottoway River."
 
Merchant's Hope Church, Martin Brandon Parish, Prince George Count, where William's will was probated.

William Rainey's speculating days were nigh over. His wife Ann dead, on February 12, 1722, now living in Martin's Brandon Parish, Prince George County, he made his last will and testament. I put this will in an earlier blog when I thought perhaps William's son Roger might be our ancestor. Knowing now that his son William is our 7th great-grandfather, it's worth reading again:

In the Name of God, Amen. I William Ranye of Brandon Parrish,Prince George County, being very Sick and weak, but of perfect mind & memory do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament in manner & form following.- Imprimis. I give and bequeath my Soul to Almighty God that gave it,trusting in the mercy and merits of my blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, for pardon and remission of all my sins in general, my Body to the Earth to be decently Int'r. after the manner of the Church of England, my Worldly Estate my Debts being first paid as follows. Item- I give my Land to my Son John and his Lawful heirs of his Body,for want of such heirs the said Land to my Son Roger Ranye and his heirs for ever. I give my Son John my horse called Mettle, 1 small Iron pot, one Little feather bed & furniture.-Item. I give my Daughter Susannah my Bed and furniture that I now Lye on, my Black Calf, the Biggest brass kettle, four gall. Iron pot and pot hooks, 1 pewter Dish, 1 Basin, 1 smoothing Iron and heaters, my side saddle. Item - I give to my son William one brass kettle[of] about twelve gallons,and the Debts that James Gretion owes me.-Item. I give to my Daughter Elizabeth one gown & Petticoat, one young Cow. Item - I give to my Son Roger two Cows.-Item. I give to my Daughter Sarah my great Iron pot.-Item. I give my new Bed and furniture to my Daughter Rebecca, 1 Dish,one Iron pot, 1 heifer.-Item. I give my son Richard three Ells of Ozenbriggs [a basic cloth for sheets and work clothing].-Item. I give all the rest of my Estate to be equally divided between my Son Roger, my Son John, my Daughter Rebecca, and my Daughter Susanna,she having her first choice.-   Feby. the 12th 1721/22. William Ranye Teste.

At a Court held at Merchants Hope for Prince George County on the
second Tuesday in July, being the tenth day of the said month Anno 
Dom: 1722.- The above written Last Will and Testament of William Ranye Dec'ed. was
presented into Court by William Ranye Jun'r. and there being no 
Executor appointed in the said Will, the said William made oath thereto
and it being proved by the oaths of William Stainback Jun'r. and John
Abington two of the witnesses thereto is by order of the Court truly
recorded. And on the motion of the said William Ranye and his giveing
Security according to Law, Certificate is granted him for obtaining
Letters of Administration with the said Will annexed in due form.-
 
Test   Wm. Hamlin   ClCur.

William Rainey, Jr. presented his father's will for probate and acted as administrator because most likely he was the oldest son, born about 1698, either in Ulster or in Virginia. He had married in about 1719 a girl believed to be Mary Huskey (and we do have numerous DNA matches to descendants of Virginia Huskeys). Perhaps land in what would become Sussex County was a wedding gift. His brothers Roger and Richard Rainey remained in Prince George County. John Rainey, who inherited the remaining land, appears to have moved to Princess Anne County, Virginia by the 1740s. As for our William, Jr., he is found in that part of Surry County that became Sussex County. Like his father, he bought and sold land. 

1727, Apr 17. Surry Co. Deed Book: James Judkins to William Rainey. 275A on north side of the little creek of Three Creeks.

1727 Apr 17.  Surry Co. Deed Book: George Maybury to William Raney. 115A on north side of Nottoway River, bounded by the Woodyard Swamp.

1727, July 29. Surry Co. Deed Book: William Rainey to Francis Lightfoot. 100A on south side of main Blackwater Swamp.

1727, Oct 13. Land Grant to William Rainey of Surry Co. 240A on the north side of Nottaway River. Adjoins his other land and the Woodyard Swamp. 

In the 1740s, William owned a mill - a grist mill for grain, I assume, but perhaps an early saw mill. If we lived in Sussex County today, we probably could locate his land, which became our Rainey ancestors' plantation (but don't envision a Tara from Gone With the Wind).

On January 7, 1765 William Rainey made his will:

In the name of God, Amen, I William Rainey of the County of Sussex this 7th Day of January 1765 [1766 New Calendar] Being of Sound and Perfect Memory and Calling to mind the uncertainty of this transitory Life I do make and ordain this to be my Last Will and Testament in form and manner following viz. I give my Soul to almighty God that gave it to me Hoping for mercy through the merits of Jesus Christ my Beloved Saviour and Redeemer and my Body to be Buried in Christian and Decent Like manner at the Discretion of my Executors here after named and as for m Worldly goods what has pleased God to Bless me with I give and devise in form following.
Item: I give to my Son William Rainey [our 6th great-grandfather] my bed and furniture Whereon I Lie also a Case of drawers and Chart [,] three Leather chairs my Small Gun the old Iron pot and my least [lead?] pot and half my Carpenters and Coopers tools and gun Stocking tools and half my Cider Casks and one processioning tub and one Cider pail [;] a Negro man called Hector to him and to his heirs for ever [;] like wise my brass kettle.

Item: I give and Devise to my Son Nathaniel Rainey my manor Plantation containing two hundred and forty Nine Acres of Land to him and his heirs for Ever two Walnut Tables one oval and the other a square table [,] my old Chest three leather Chairs and a gun[,] two iron pots also a Negro man named Caesar one Bed and furniture[,] the Beds he is already possessed with and half the Carpenters and Coopers tools and half the Cider Casks all to him and his heirs for Ever.

Item: I Give and Devise to my Daughter Mary Baley one Negro woman named Jane and her increase to her and her heirs for Ever.

Item: My will and desire is that all the Remainder of my Estate not above mentioned be Equally Divided be it of what kind or Property Soever Between my Children namely William[,] Nathaniel[,] Elizabeth[,] Frances[,] Mary[,] Amy and I Do Constitute and appoint my Son William Rainey to be my Executor of this my Last Will and Testament as Witness my hand and Seal this Day and year above Written.  Sealed Signed and Delivered in the presence of [names of witnesses]
William Rainey's initial "W" allegedly his own handwriting on his Last Will & Testament

William's will wasn't probated until 16 March 1769, so he yet had a few years to live. Some think Mary Huskey Rainey survived to 1773, but since William made no provision for her in his will, I must assume she predeceased the making of his will. 

Supposing William Rainey (c1725-after 1769), the executor and our 6th great-grandfather, was the older son and was well set up when he married, it's understandable his father felt no obligation to him.
On Jan. 12, 1746, a land grant was recorded to William Rainey, Surry Co., 145 acres on the south west side of Southwester Swamp, on his own mill path, beginning at John Ferringtons corner pine on the Hogpen Branch. Was this grant made to the elder William Rainey or to our 6th great-grandfather? We'll assume the latter. He married a girl named Mary Jackson and had his first living child, Ann, on 26 January1748; followed by William (1750-1799 Northampton Co., NC), Daniel (1753-1799 Dinwiddie Co.,VA), Peter (1754-1826 Sussex Co.,VA), and Mary Rainey (1758). These children were baptized at Albermarle Parish church, their names,  birth and christening dates, and the names of their parents - William and Mary Rainey - entered into the Vestry Book, much of which has survived. Albermarle Parish was Anglican, the official religion of Virginia until after the American Revolutionary War, when its citizens could finally choose their religion without continuing to be taxed to support the Church of England. I haven't found a will, estate administration papers, or a date of death for this forebear. So, we now we would turn to his son, William Rainey, our 5th great-grandfather. But, originally, I thought William's brother Peter was our 5th great-grandfather, so I will leave in his life in Virginia, because William moved down to Northampton, North Carolina.


Peter Rainey was born on September 1, 1754, and baptized October 6, 1754 at Albermarle Parish, Sussex County, Virginia. Sussex County had finally been separated from Surry County and was named after County Sussex in England.

Only two Raineys appear in the 1782 tax list for Sussex County - Will Rainey (Peter's cousin, son of his uncle Nathaniel Rainey) and Peter himself. Peter is shown as having 9 white tythes (himself, a wife, children, maybe a parent or in-laws), 3 Negroes, 3 horses, and 3 cattle. In the 1790 census he had 4 whites in his family (himself, Mary, another child  and Sally. Polly was born that year, but likely after his tax and head-count were entered) and 8 Negroes. This indicates that he was growing tobacco as his main source of income, requiring more labor. It's possible he also grew cotton because this southern part of Sussex County just above the North Carolina border is where the cotton belt begins, and cotton requires intensive labor. On the other hand, we don't know the ages and sex of his enslaved people, so perhaps I shouldn't speculate.

Somehow Peter was overlooked for the 1800 census.  In the 1810 census Peter and his wife are free whites over 45; a free white male 10-15 must be son Peter Eppes Rainey; 5 enslaved Negroes are listed and one free person, possibly black, but color isn't stated. Sally Rainey married John Robinson in 1800 and remained in Sussex County.  Polly Rainey married Enos Kitchen in 1809 and moved to nearby Dinwiddie County. 

Peter Rainey's 1820 census is proof that he and his wife were still alive. Living with them probably was son Peter Eppes Rainey (male age 16-25 - he was 23); his wife (female age 16-25), and their two sons (two males under 10). Peter possessed three enslaved Negroes - a woman over 45, a woman 26-44, and a male under 14. Three people were engaged in agriculture.

His wife must have died before Peter, who died in December 1826. He left no will and Henry W. Eppes, possibly kin to his wife, was appointed administrator. (All Virginia Eppes/Eps/Epps are related to one another and we are related to them). 

I believe Peter dispersed his land, goods and enslaved people before his death. In settling his estate, after his administrator paid off two notes for $5.56 each and other costs, the estate totaled $11.15. The probate was finally completed in 1829, but the carefully entered fees and costs on the court's balance sheet give no indication who Peter's heirs were.

On a list of Virginians who served in the American Revolution on Ancestry.com is listed a Peter Rainey, but no other information. However, on the Virginia USGenWeb Archives I found this: 

REVOLUTIONARY WAR PENSION AFFIDAVIT - PETER RANEY

Raney, Peter (Rainey, Rainy, Rany)     Pen. 340       1820-1825 
Sussex County 

Received $60 yearly: documents were powers of attorney papers which were too 
light to read.

Most privates received about $44/month in old age, so I'll have to research why Peter would get a higher amount. Maybe he was a sergeant.

Were our Raney/Rainey forebears good ancestors? They were men of a certain time and place. The more important question is, are we being good ancestors?

No comments:

Post a Comment